Are you still breastfeeding?
It's a comment I get asked fairly frequently. I don't think
it's people being critical but rather people not understanding why after 21
months I might still breastfeed my child.
Mork
Most days M asks for “mork” when she wakes up in the morning
and at some point in the hour between her coming home from nursery and going to
bed. At weekends, when I am with her more, or when she is unwell she wants to
nurse more often. At times this is annoying, other times it is lovely.
So it's just for comfort then?
When people ask this I wonder if they mean hers or mine. Yes
it is comforting for us both, but most of the benefits to newborns or milk
continue as long as you nurse, and some increase. I am convinced that she and I
have been ill less often and less seriously because of our breastfeeding
relationship. At 6am in the morning I suspect her reason is hunger and mine is
so I can lean back with my eyes closed for a little longer while M has some
milk.
When are you going to stop?
My daughter will often ask for “mork”, but if it is getting
close to bed time and she hasn't had any I will offer her some. She gets super
excited. Why would I stop giving her something that costs me nothing, is good
for her and is something she enjoys?
There are some occasions when it annoys me eg when she comes
over takes 2 sips runs off, runs back and repeats. There are times when I say
“no” like when she was pulling my dress down when we were at the vets in the
consulting room. She throws a tantrum. She is very good at throwing tantrums
and regularly throws them throughout the day. To force her to wean would
involve a lot of tantrums. Why would I put her or I through that?
For every one time I have been fed up with breastfeeding
there have been another 3 when I have been grateful that I still am including
when she has been injured and nursing her stopped the tears (and in the case of
a badly cut tongue the blood too).
If breastfeeding is no longer right for you then stop, but
please don't stop because of the influence of people who think you should only
breastfeed a child under 6 months.
Are you still going to breastfeed her when she's at school?
Children who are allowed to self wean from the breast do so
at different ages. My daughter isn't yet 2. She wont start school for another 3
years. Since she was born she has grown from a dependent tiny ball who needed
my help for everything to an independent, confident child who tries to do
everything herself. Who knows what she will be like in another 2 years.
Basically they are implying that my daughter will never wean, this is rubbish.
Breastfeeding is the one thing that I can be truly proud of
as a mum.
I let my daughter watch too much TV.
I don't always give her healthy food.
Sometimes I can't be bothered to play with her.
I'm rubbish at brushing her teeth and cutting her nails
But for nearly 6 months I exclusively nourished my baby with
my milk.
For a further 15 months I have supported and comforted her
through breastfeeding.
One day M will no longer want mummy milk. It may happen
quickly, it may happen slowly (there are times already when she says “no” to
it). I'm in no rush. I know it will be hard on me and I probably wont be ready,
but it wont be hard on her, because it will be her choice. And that's my
choice.
Thank you for reading my 3rd and final post for
the Keep Britain Breastfeeding scavenger hunt. Today's topic was “Breastfeeding
Beyond a Year” and the final day tomorrow is “Dispelling Breastfeeding Myths”.
A list of all the blog posts is available on the main blog as well as details
of all the prizes www.keepbritainbreastfeeding.co.uk
The competition is open until Friday 5th July so you have plenty of
time to collect the 50 points required for the main prize.
Lots of blogs are taking part and here are just a few of
them:
Cantaloop are offering 20% off their nursing bra with code ukbfw20 ends 10th July 2013
Breastvest coupon code NBW25 for 25% off today
BigBookLittleBookCardboard Box - You can save £2.20 off by going
No comments:
Post a Comment